By Ginny M
Aug 6, 2006
Kids and the Internet
Everyday we thank goodness for the internet. It has made searching for information a lot faster. It is also great to be able to easily keep in touch with family and friends who have moved away. It is a blessing to be able to order things online when the day is just so busy there is no time to go out.
However, it does scare me as a parent. My children have begun asking to access the websites of certain shows. Though their chosen sites seem perfectly ok, when we went to see the site, there was an age restriction on it. Typical child, the more my daughter was told she couldn’t access the site, the more she wanted to go to it.
So how to deal with it:
- Install parental control software like net nanny to help keep access to porn sites down to zero.
- Monitor your kids internet time just as you would if they were at play outside
- Get to know their online friends just as you would their actual friends
- Teach them that it is a very bad idea to disclose personal information online
- Don’t stop being vigilant just because your kid turns 15. Be aware that 72% of missing children are around the ages 15 and older.
- Keep abreast of technology. The kids may absorb it faster but that is no reason for us to be lazy and stop learning. Your kid may be less likely to get into internet trouble if they know that you are also tech savvy and are taking all the necessary precautions to keep them safe.